The RBC Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Award (RBC MJAward) was founded in honour of St. John’s filmmaker and student mentor Michelle Jackson, who passed away suddenly in 2008. This annual peer-juried award is open to emerging female directors who reside in Newfoundland and Labrador and who have not yet directed a feature film. Only directors may apply. The award provides services and cash towards the creation of a six-minute film. The final film will screen at the Closing Night Gala of the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival.
Award Recipients must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Be assigned a mentor for the project;
- Report project progress to the RBC MJAward mentor at intervals and in a manner specified in the Award contract;
- Acknowledge RBC, the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Fund, the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival and Award Partners by name and with corporate logo in the project, and to do so according to the terms of the Award contract;
- Complete the project;
- Screen the film at the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival during the Closing Night Gala; and
- Agree to have her name and image appear in any or all publications, announcements, promotions for the Award.
How to apply:
All submissions must be received by 5pm on July 6th, at the SJIWFF office at 28 Cochrane Street, St. John’s, or postmarked by July 6th.
For more information, contact Sarah Smellie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 709-754-3141.
RBC MJAward Alumni
2014: Jenina MacGillivray
2013: Tamara Segura
2012: Jacqueline Hynes
2011: Ruth Lawrence
2010: Allison White
We would like to thank all of our partners who make this award possible:
The RBC Foundation, the Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation, CBC Newfoundland and Labrador, MO Entertainment, the Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Co-Operative, Atlantic Studios Cooperative and the Community Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador