The RBC Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Award (RBC MJAward) was founded in honour of St. John’s filmmaker and student mentor Michelle Jackson, who passed away suddenly in 2008. This annual peer-juried award is open to emerging female directors who reside in Newfoundland and Labrador and who have not yet directed a feature film. Only directors may apply. The award provides services and cash towards the creation of a six-minute film. The final film will screen at the Closing Night Gala of the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival.
Award recipients must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- be assigned a mentor for the project;
- report project progress to the RBC MJAward mentor at intervals and in a manner specified in the Award contract;
- acknowledge RBC, the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Fund, the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival and Award Partners by name and with corporate logo in the project, and to do so according to the terms of the Award contract;
- complete the project;
- submit a final report as per the Award contract;
- screen the film at the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival during the Closing Night Gala; and
- agree to have her name and image appear in any or all publications, announcements, promotions for the Award.
How to apply
Submissions for the RBC MJAward open June 18, 2014 and must be received by 5pm on Monday, July 21, 2014 at SJIWFF, 28 Cochrane Street, St. John’s, NL. For more information, contact Sarah Smellie, Executive Director, at 709-754-3141 or email@example.com.
2013 winner: Tamara Segura
2012 winner: Jacqueline Hynes
2011 winner: Ruth Lawrence
2010 winner: Allison White
Partners that make this award possible:
- RBC Foundation
- Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation
- Atlantic Studios Cooperative
- Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Cooperative
- Casting by Maggie
We would also like to acknowledge the many people who contributed to the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Fund, a foundation established as a means for individuals and companies to donate to the emerging filmmaker cause.