The RBC Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Award (RBC MJAward) was founded in honour of St. John’s filmmaker and student mentor Michelle Jackson, who passed away suddenly in 2008. This annual peer-juried award is open to emerging female directors living in Newfoundland and Labrador who have not yet directed a feature film. Only directors may apply. The award provides services and cash to create a six-minute film within six months. The final film will be premiered at the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival.
Award recipients must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- be assigned a mentor for the project;
- report project progress to the RBC MJAward mentor at intervals and in a manner specified in the Award contract;
- acknowledge RBC, the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Fund, the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival and Award Partners by name and with corporate logo in the project, and to do so according to the terms of the Award contract;
- complete the project;
- submit a final report as per the Award contract;
- premiere the film at the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival; and
- agree to have her name and image appear in any or all publications, announcements, promotions for the Award.
How to apply
Submissions for the RBC MJAward typically open in May of each year. For more information, contact Sarah Smellie, Communications and Publicity Manager, at 709-754-3141 or email@example.com.
Congratulations to the 2012 RBC MJAward winner, Jackie Hynes!
2011 winner: Ruth Lawrence
2010 winner: Allison White
Partners that make this award possible:
- RBC Foundation
- PS Atlantic
- Deluxe Toronto
- Stewart McKelvey
- Atlantic Studios Cooperative
- Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation
- Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Cooperative
- Kodak Canada Inc.
- Don Sinclair and Travelers Canada
- Atlantic Film Festival
We would also like to acknowledge the many people who contributed to the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Fund, a foundation established as a means for individuals and companies to donate to the emerging filmmaker cause.