The RBC Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Award (RBC MJAward) was founded in honour of St. John’s filmmaker and student mentor Michelle Jackson, who passed away suddenly in 2008. This annual peer-juried award is open to emerging female directors who reside in Newfoundland and Labrador and who have not yet directed a feature film. Only directors may apply. The award provides services and cash towards the creation of a six-minute film.
Kerry Gamberg is the winner of the 2017 RBC Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Award. Kerry’s winning script, Crush, will premiere next year at the 29th annual St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival’s Closing Night Gala.
Kerry Gamberg is a writer, director, producer and creator based in St. John’s, NL. She has spent the last six years working in film and television, including CBC’s Republic Of Doyle and two seasons of the Netflix original Frontier. Kerry was the Producer of Yarns (CBC Comedy Coup) and Waste It (RBC Michelle Jackson Award), and Field Producer & Fixer for Spike Jonze/VICELAND’s television series Abandoned. She is currently writing a pilot for her comedy series The Hallidays, and has been published both locally and internationally.
The 2017 Prizes
Along with mentorship, the winner will also receive:
- Cash prize from the RBC Foundation
- Cash prize from CBC Newfoundland & Labrador
- Cash prize from the Newfoundland & Labrador Film Development Corporation
- Cash prize from the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival
- Cash prize from the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmakers’ Fund
- Cash prize from MO Entertainment
- In-kind post-production services from Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Cooperative
- In-kind insurance support from Optimized Insurance
- In-kind camera and lens package rental from Clairmont Cameras
- In-kind script consultation with Page to Screen’s Ruth Atkinson
- In-kind consultation and assistance with casting from Casting by Maggie
- In-kind equipment rental from Atlantic Studios Cooperative
- Participation in the Women in the Director’s Chair Career Advancement Module
Thank You to our generous supporters
RBC Foundation (who donate to the RBC MJ Fund as well as administration of the award), CBC Newfoundland and Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation, Community Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John's International Women's Film Festival, Anita Reilly McGee, Lindsay MacKay, MO Entertainment, Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Co-Operative, Optimized Insurance, Atlantic Studios Co-Operative, Page to Screen’s Ruth Atkinson, Casting by Maggie, Clairmont Camera, and Women in the Director’s Chair.
RBC MJ Award Alumni
Emily Bridger, Waste It
Wanda Nolan, Crocuses
Jenina MacGillivray, The Tour
Tamara Segura, Before the War
Jacqueline Hynes, The Passenger
Ruth Lawrence, Two Square Feet
Allison White, Decolored