The St. John's International Women's Film Festival is now accepting applications for the 2017 RBC MJAward!
Deadline to apply is July 17, 2017 at 5:00pm.
Download Guidelines + Download Application Form
The RBC Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmaker Award (RBC MJAward) was founded in honour of St. John’s filmmaker and student mentor Michelle Jackson, who passed away suddenly in 2008. This annual peer-juried award is open to emerging female directors who reside in Newfoundland and Labrador and who have not yet directed a feature film. Only directors may apply. The award provides services and cash towards the creation of a six-minute film.
The 2017 Prizes
Along with mentorship, the winner will also receive:
- Cash prize from the RBC Foundation
- Cash prize from CBC Newfoundland & Labrador
- Cash prize from the Newfoundland & Labrador Film Development Corporation
- Cash prize from the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival
- Cash prize from the Michelle Jackson Emerging Filmmakers’ Fund
- Cash prize from MO Entertainment
- In-kind post-production services from Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Cooperative
- In-kind insurance support from Optimized Insurance
- In-kind camera and lens package rental from Clairmont Cameras
- In-kind script consultation with Page to Screen’s Ruth Atkinson
- In-kind consultation and assistance with casting from Casting by Maggie
- In-kind equipment rental from Atlantic Studios Cooperative
- Participation in the Women in the Director’s Chair Career Advancement Module
Emily’s 2016 RBC MJAward winning script, Waste It, is the poignant story of a woman attempting to grapple with the fleeting nature of romance through filmmaking, only to run into conflict with her surrounding cast and crew. Waste It will premiere at the 28th annual St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival’s Closing Night Gala.
Thank You to our generous supporters
RBC Foundation (who donate to the RBC MJ Fund as well as administration of the award), CBC Newfoundland and Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation, Community Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John's International Women's Film Festival, Anita Reilly McGee, Lindsay MacKay, MO Entertainment, Newfoundland Independent Filmmakers Co-Operative, Optimized Insurance, Atlantic Studios Co-Operative, Page to Screen’s Ruth Atkinson, Casting by Maggie, Clairmont Camera, and Women in the Director’s Chair.
RBC MJ Award Alumni
Emily Bridger, Waste It
Wanda Nolan, Crocuses
Jenina MacGillivray, The Tour
Tamara Segura, Before the War
Jacqueline Hynes, The Passenger
Ruth Lawrence, Two Square Feet
Allison White, Decolored